Monday, January 24, 2011

Winter, I'm SO over you!

Every year I look forward to the the cooler crisp temperatures, the smell of wood burning in fireplaces, and the changing leaves that fall brings. fall inevitably gives way to winter, which I'm usually ok with.  You see, I live in the southern U.S., Tennessee to be exact.  We experience fairly mild winters here normally.  You wouldn't find many years in the record books that we had more than 1 or at most 2 light snowfalls accumulating more than 2 inches.  This year is one for the record books though.  We've had 4 or 5 snows with accumulations this winter, and its not over with yet.  We even had a good snowfall on Christmas Day, which was really beautiful.  But now, I'm just sick and tired of frigid cold temps, gray cloudy skies, and cold wet stuff messing up the roads and making me worry about my sweetie driving to work at 4 in the morning.  The kids here have only gone to school maybe 5 days total since they let out for Christmas break a week before Christmas.  I know many of you out there have far worse winters than this, but this is Tennessee--the south, where its usually mild in the winter and HOT in the summer, and I didnt' sign up for this!!! lol
Here is a photo outside our front door a few weeks ago.


During all of this cold weather, I did manage to get a few finishes under my belt, YAY! Below are two quilts that I worked on off and on from about June of last year until now.  They were meant to be Christmas presents for my niece and nephew.  I wanted to get some good pics of them finished, but the dreary, snowy weather wouldn't cooperate so here are a few crappy dark, pics =(


Our little niece is two and her little brother is one.  I made these bigger than an average baby quilt because I wanted them to be able to snuggle up with these for years to come.  The long arm quilter did a great job with the quilting.  She did swirls all along the border and added little swirls in the zig-zags too.  It gave the quilt a bit more whimsy I think.  Here is the best detail shot I could get with the bad lighting.

I've also been working all week in my spare time on a flannel quilt for my friend who is having a baby girl on February 1st.  I used some Bliss flannel fat quarters and red thread and I really like the way it turned out.  Again, dark photos, sorry!

I also started another baby project that didn't quite get finished in time so I'll post pics of that soon.

If you are also feeling the winter blues, let me suggest you try these YUMMY Krusteaz Key Lime bars.  They're like sunshine in your mouth!  A friend turned me onto them a few years ago, and I've loved them ever since.  I made them for the baby shower this weekend, and everyone loved them.  Even if you aren't usually a key lime fan, you'll probably still like these.  They are SO easy to make.
Photo Credit: ContinentalMills.com


Until we meet again,



2 comments:

  1. All of your quilts look wonderful Caylee! Good job!!!

    I love the snow as long as I can stay home, but we haven't really had much this Winter. Just keep remembering that Spring is just around the corner...yeah!

    Oh the Key Lime bars look yummy, but I'm off of sweets for now, hopefully....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Caylee. Just wish I could have seen the baby rag quilt in person. It looks just sooo sweet. Your Daddy at up all the left over key lime bars before I could even have one. lol I am sure you Niece and Nephew will love their quilts for many years to come!!!

    ReplyDelete