Saturday, July 10, 2010

Read Anything Good Lately?

I love to read, always have. I like to have a good book going in the background at all times. The problem is that I read them pretty quick and then I'm left with nothing to read until I go on another book-buying binge on Amazon. Speaking of Amazon, lately I've been slightly interested in the Kindle e-reader, but I'm not sure how much I'd like the feel of it rather than a traditional book. I wish I could just test-drive one for a while.

My favorite books are historical fiction.  I also like Nicholas Sparks. His stories even make great movies.  A Walk to Remember, Message in A Bottle, The Notebook, are all thanks to the talented Mr. Sparks.  And I'm ashamed to say that I did get dragged into the Twilight saga.  I started reading it at the urging of a friend, fully intending not to like it.  However, it pulled me in and by the time I got to the 4th and final book, I stayed up all night reading it just because I couldn't bring myself to put it down.

Here are a few of my all time favorites (all pictures from Amazon.com):

Israel My Beloved by Kay Arthur tells the chronological story of Israel and the Jewish people from a fascinating point of view.


Queenmaker: A Novel of King David's Queen by India Edghill is very entertaining, albeit embellished tale of King David's first queen, Michal. I re-read this one every few years.


Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden is another great read.  The story follows a young girl as she becomes a geisha in tradition-rich Kyoto Japan in the twentieth century.


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is another one that I really enjoyed.  The main character is consistantly and against his will transported through time over and over again. He meets his wife when she is just a little girl and he's already married to her in his own time.  Hard to explain, but a good read.  The book is way better than the movie in this case.  But the movie is better if you've already read the book.



And let us not forget the classic Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell.  Scarlett O'Hara, Rhett Butler, need I say more?  This is one case where the movie is just as good as the book.


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know if I'd like a Kindle and then I sat and played with my sister-in-laws kindle...and I thought hmmm...I might be able to get used to this. Then my boss received her Kindle as a gift and had no clue how to set it up, so I did it for her and I loved it...now I want one, drats!

    You haven't read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series yet? All three books are intense thrillers and I enjoyed them even though they are a bit graphic at times. Oh and you should read The Help....really good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the first book in the Dragon Tattoo series and its next on my reading list. I downloaded The Help audio book onto cd's for mom and dad's trip so I think once they are done with them I'm going to listen. I've never listened to a book before instead of reading it, so I hope I can focus and not let my attention wander.

    ReplyDelete